With winter here it’s easy to start turning to sweets, cakes and pastries for warming, comfort food. Unfortunately it’s also easy to start summer with that warm comfort food still hugging us. This Banana Bread hits the spot as a treat but is actually really healthy. It freezes really well and can be cut before freezing so ready to go for school lunches or your own tea break.
20 mins prep
60 mins cooking
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder,
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
100gm butter (or light spread to be even healthier)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup artificial sweetener powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 small eggs, lightly beaten
3 small banana, (ripe), well mashed
1/2 cup extra light sour cream
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Prepare 11cm x 26cm deep loaf tin by lining it with baking paper.
- Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon together in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter, sugar, sweetener and vanilla essence in a separate bowl using electric beaters until light and creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, ensuring each egg is beaten well before adding the next.
- Fold through flour, bananas and sour cream, making sure not to over-beat mixture.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin, smoothing surface with a spatula.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for approximately 1 hr, or until golden brown and cooked through when tested with a cake skewer.
This banana bread can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days. It is also suitable to freeze for up to 3 months.