The vegetarian risotto was a hard sell for me, namely because:
a.) Mr T doesn’t really like risotto and
b.) Miss Logical and Master Mayhem don’t really like veggies.
I’m not going to lie and say the kids dug in and said, “Wow Mum, this is amazing and so are you! Let’s have vegetarian risotto every night!” However, they did try it, including the veggies and accepted that it would be served up again.
I did have another win because the risotto was packed with veggies rather than a lot of stodgy rice and therefore Mr T actually gave this risotto the thumbs up.
15-20 mins prep
40 mins cooking (approx)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 3 large mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 head of broccoli, finely diced
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup of chopped beans
- 2 fresh tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup reduced fat grated tasty cheese
- 1/2 jar (190g) sun dried tomato pesto
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 L vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups long grain rice
It doesn’t have to be these vegetables precisely, you can use whatever is in season or whatever you are trying to clear out of your fridge.
- In a heavy based, large pot, heat olive oil and gently fry garlic and onion together
- Add rice and stir to coat
- Add pesto and stir thoroughly
- Add all other vegetables except corn and tomatoes, stir
- Add half of the stock
- Add tomatoes
- Stir well, cover with lid and reduce heat to a slow bubble
- Continue adding stock as water is absorbed, stirring well
- When risotto has absorbed water, add corn
- Add Parmesan and tasty grated cheese and stir well
- Season to taste
Recipe was inspired by Best Recipes
Do you have a vegetarian risotto recipe that is tried and true?